Friday, January 12, 2007

Testimonials 1

I attended a workshop at Atlantic beach, NC under Alan Morris. It was one of the best learning experiences I have had in art instruction. Being new to watercolor, Alan challenged me gently & firmly. He challenged each of us at our own level to push forward beyond ourselves. It was a very challenging & exciting week.We worked hard & with his & April's gentle natures we also had a lot of fun & achieved far more than any of us expected. I would love to repeat this experience in another workshop with them & highly recommend it to everyone of all levels. We had many very experienced & professional artists in our group as well as those with little experience & we all came away having grown & learned so much. We were tired but exhilerated at the end of each day.
Susan C.
Greenville, NC

Alan, I awoke this morning with great thanksgiving in my heart. God is always at work isn't he, he has lots of work to do. I feel the wrestling in my being, the pull between letting go and controlling. You have hit on so many aspects for me. I see the same pull in my spiritual walk, desiring so much to be fully surrendered to the Lord and yet I constantly am pulling in the reigns, retreating to what is familiar-- those things I can (or think I can) control, my contrived "comfort" zone. We do deny ourselves the available abundance that he has for us, to be stretched to a new dimension. After talking with you that few minutes after class, I could see clearly a habitual pattern of beginning with new thinking, being energized with the possibilities and then falling back to old patterns. We are such pros at that. I laughed out loud when I looked at the sketches again, so clear, I did begin with contour drawing and immediately got out the eraser and fingers when I got to what appeared to be "imperfects". I keep hearing you say we are aiming to do art, how I long to reach that place. I know why God was so adamant about my taking this class. So much more depth here than learning to paint. I am very aware that he has been tugging at my heart for a long time. Oh how he longs for us to know freedom in our relationship with him, so that he can take us to heights we would never reach on our own.
I chuckle when I realize how, at the end of a class, you know us well, just from the way we approach the paper with our pencil, brush and color.
Alan, all this to say, God is using you mightily. Thank you for giving time to teaching.
With thanksgiving,
Mary L.
Sewickley, PA

Alan has the unique ability to capture the spirit of the individual that he paints. It is a joy to watch him work and his positive and constructive comments greatly helped smooth the way for me in my own painting adventures. Alan leads by example and then steps aside and allows the student to find their own path and "painting voice." He is an exceptionally fine teacher.
Ann H.
Emerald Isle, NC

You and April really inspired me, not only with your personal grace, but to be a better painter. I have wanted to be a portrait painter since I was a child. When class was over I really devoted myself to portraits. Lots and lots of drawing before I even put a brush on the paper. I am combining the Dorothy style with the Alan style. It is one thing to get a likeness but another to get a spirit. I am working on the spirit part because it is the hardest.
I found that the classes were professionally structured, we were busy all the time. Alan is a patient teacher who knows who to push and who to encourage. It was four days of hard work. I was really challenged, learned a lot and loved it!
By the way, Dee Standish won an award at the Beaufort County Arts Council in a new "people" category and sold the painting to a private collector. He only buys the best from the show each year. We were all thrilled for her. I saw a lot of your influence in her work.
Hope you can do another session at Ocean Sands and see how much we have all improved.
Fondly,
Dorothy E.
Bath, NC

Alan Morris is an encouraging teacher. I have been painting portraits
for several years and Alan confirmed and reaffirmed much of what I have
learned through the years. I appreciated his technical teaching as well
as his creative style. He expects you to learn and promotes learning by
doing. His willingness to demonstrate portrait painting is bold and
exciting. I appreciated the exercises he gave in his workshop and the
desire he has to reach and encourage each individual student in his
workshop. If you want to learn and enjoy learning, you will appreciate
Alan's workshops.

Sincerely,
Janet Dixon
Professional Artist
Winterville, NC

Great workshop! Inspirational instructor! I had very little confidence,
and experience painting portraits, and came out of the workshop more
confident and proud of what I had accomplished and all I had learned.

Judy Larkins
Greenville, NC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home